Friday, March 18, 2016

NEW New Years Resolutions

Welcome to January, the month of diets, detoxes and empty promises.

There is a lot of motivation wrapped up in January that is so exciting. It's a chance to start over, wipe away any negativity, and take a positive step towards our picture perfect lives.

I'd like to capture that positive motivation and build it up towards some new, more specific goals/resolutions for myself. And maybe you'd like to join me.  It is important to have goals that fit into various segments of your wellness wheel.  Making sure that you think about and consider your physical wellness, emotional wellness, spiritual wellness and intellectual wellness.  We don’t need to include all of these, but it is important to consider all in order to have a big picture view of our whole selves.

It is also important to get as specific as possible with your goals.  The more details you have; time, date, actual event, etc., the more likely you are to remember and complete them.

A SMART goal is: specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and time-sensitive.

I recently had a beautiful baby girl named Grace. She is now 8 months old. Which means that I am now looking at my post baby body in the mirror with a little less love and leniency, and a little more pressure and criticism.

The professional me wants to look at myself and say, "You look wonderful, you are still breast feeding and need those extra calories you are craving, and you will have time to get back to where you want to be. Don't be so hard on yourself. Love what your body has just done for you."

But the self-critical me is looking in the mirror, confused as to where these extra soft arms, tummy and thighs came from.  It is an interesting phenomenon when the self portrait in your mind doesn’t match the self portrait in the mirror.

My goal in physical wellness is to begin working out again, focused on strength training and yoga a few times a week until I finish breastfeeding my daughter.  Until then, I will grant myself Grace (pun intended) with my appetite and my body shape and composition.


Emotional wellness for me is all about personal connection and relationships.  With friends, family and loved ones.  When those relationships don’t get the time and nurturing that they need in order to create deep conversations, genuine connections and fun adventures, my emotional wellness begins to decline.

For me, my friendships have taken a spot on the back burner to make room for the new little life I am responsible for, and to make room for the time it takes to run a business solo.  I still connect with my friends, but it is not nearly as often or as focused as Id like it to be.

My goal in emotional wellness is to make the time to meet with a friend or group of friends without my daughter in tow at least twice a month.  I’d love for that to be dinner or drinks out with girlfriends or a workout class on the weekends or even a concert or game.

What are your SMART goals for 2015?  Which wellness segments are you focused on for the year?  The next best thing to make a goal happen is to SHARE IT!  Share your goals here to put them out into the universe for commitment.

Visit : http://crave-health.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment